MSc in Clinical & Counseling Psychology
UK Level 7
About the Course
Clinical psychology is the psychological specialty that provides continuing and comprehensive mental and behavioral health care for individuals, couples, families, and groups. This branch of psychology is concerned with the assessment and treatment of mental illness and abnormal behavior. This field integrates the science of psychology with the treatment of complex human problems, making it an exciting career choice for people who are looking to work in a challenging and rewarding field.
Counseling Psychology is a specialty in applied psychology that uses a broad range of techniques to help people improve their well-being, prevent and alleviate distress and maladjustment, resolve crises, and increase their ability to function better in their lives. Counseling psychologists support personal and interpersonal functioning across the life span and pays particular attention to emotional, social, vocational, educational, health-related, developmental, and organizational concerns.
MSc in Clinical & Counseling Psychology at CIRP
This is a master’s level qualification, specially designed with the goal of training clinical psychologists who are able to provide their services in par with international professional standards. Program covers both academic and practitioner aspects equally and this is the only program in Sri Lanka that comprehensively covers topics in Clinical Psychology.
Developed by a panel of eminent clinical psychologists and directors of clinical psychology program in UK universities, the curriculum matches international standards as well as the requirements of the local context.
What is covered in this program?
MSc in Clinical & Counseling Psychology program offered by CIRP covers the following areas of expertise:
1. Understanding of psychopathology and mental health across the lifespan
2. Ability to assess cognitive, behavioral, emotional, and interpersonal functioning, and to integrate and synthesize test data with observations, interviews, and other data sources
3. Ability to conduct psychological and behavioral intervention to improve health and functioning using a wide range of evidence-based interventions
4. Ability to conduct, disseminate, and implement research on a range of clinical psychological processes
5. Establishment and maintenance of therapeutic relationships and communication with a broad diversity of populations
6. Ability to recognize and respond to ethical, legal, regulatory issues as they pertain to the practice of clinical psychology
7. Understanding of professional expectations that guide behavior, promote self-reflection, integrity, and accountability
How is this program delivered?
Program includes acquisition of knowledge as well as practitioner skills. Knowledge is delivered through different face to face teaching techniques such as lectures, small group discussions, tutorials and seminars.
Practitioner skill acquisition is through workshop, case study discussions and supervised training. Usually the first year of the program is dedicated for lectures and skill development while the second year includes a comprehensive supervised training by British and Sri Lankan Clinical psychologists at different therapeutic settings.
Why is supervised training important?
Becoming a clinical psychologist requires one to acquire sophisticated mental, inter-personal and communication skills to prevent any form of harm to the clients or the psychologist him/her self. Therefore a properly organized and supervised clinical training is a must in any clinical psychology program and is a mandatory aspect of any internationally recognized clinical psychology masters.
Anyone who completes a substandard qualification that doesn’t meet the required number of supervised training hours will not be able to obtain any form of licensing in Sri Lanka or abroad.
Why is MSc in Clinical & Counseling Psychology at CIRP is popular?
1. Program meets the international practitioner requirements of supervised training with specific number of supervised hours, clients and range of different settings.
2. Program covers all the essential topics comprehensively over two years, the minimum duration required to cover the content to produce a clinical psychologist.
3. Excellent curriculum designed to match global standards, we welcome any potential student to compare the content before signing up to make an informed decision.
4. Teaching and Training by over 5 visiting professors from UK universities and top Sri Lankan psychologists.
5. Training provided at CIRP’s own therapeutic center and in collaboration with other hospitals and private clinics.
6. Strong track record of postgraduate training in Psychology over a decade, graduating over a thousand students with masters.
Qualification Title : Master of Science in Clinical & Counseling Psychology
Qualification Level : Master’s Degree - UK RQF Level 7
Awarding Body : Partner University
RQF Credits : 180 UK Credits
Duration : 02 Years
Schedule : Weekends
Delivery : On Campus & Supervised Placements
Intakes : February
1 Introduction to Clinical Psychology 10 Credits
2 Psychological Assessments 10 Credits
3 Professional Skills and Core Competencies 20 Credits
4 Psychological Disorders Across the Lifespan 10 Credits
5 Therapeutic Models Across the Lifespan 30 Credits
6 Independent Study 10 Credits
7 Research Methods 30 Credits
6 Dissertation 60 Credits
The programme welcomes applications from those with a wide variety of educational qualifications.
Students require one of the following:
BSc (Hons) / BA (Hons) Psychology
BSc / BA Degree in a related discipline with at least 12 Credits in Psychology at normally 2:2 or equivalent.
Or MBBS / Nursing / Other relevant Bachelor’s Degree in allied health sciences with a Graduate Diploma / Adv. Diploma of at least 120 Credits in Core Psychology subjects or with 5 years of experience in practicing mental health
Admissions Procedures and Selection Criteria
Applicants will be selected by the course team on the basis of information provided in the internal application form and the supporting statement.
The following criteria are taken into account:
All candidates should be approved following a face to face interview where the academic interests, required maturity, moral values and ethics of the individual is assessed.
All candidates should pass the academic writing proficiency test conducted by CIRP, criminal records check and an occupational health check or equivalent.
In this program student will be working with vulnerable groups and therefore in addition to the above criteria all students should provide evidence of their physical and mental health, police report with regard to character or any criminal convictions. The course team headed by the program director should be satisfied that the students are suitable and fit to be enrolled to the program.
English language requirements:
Applicants must demonstrate a good command of the English Language to allow them to succeed on their programme of study.
Where English is not the first language or the applicant has not been educated mainly in English, s/he should possess a certificate showing achievement in the following:
Criteria 1. IELTS 6.5.
Criteria 2. Have successfully completed an academic or a professional qualification of a minimum of three (03) years full time study or equivalent that is delivered and assessed only in English Medium.
Applicants should also be able to evidence:
Commitment and motivation to undertake Postgraduate study. This may be demonstrated through their supporting statement.
Knowledge of their professional role and those of the team around them. This may be
demonstrated through their professional qualification(s) and application.
Interest in critical care and the enhancement of care through quality improvement. This may
be demonstrated through their application.
Students are assessed using Course work, Assignments, Written exams, Presentations and Training Logbooks based on a modular framework
This is placeholder text. To change this content, double-click on the element and click Change Content. To manage all your collections, click on the Content Manager button in the Add panel on the left.